The Library offers a research consultation service for students, faculty, and staff. This is an in-depth, customized, one-on-one meeting with a reference librarian to discuss possible information resources and search strategies for class assignments, papers, presentations, Masters theses, and doctoral dissertations.
Consultations are most beneficial to doctoral students who are already familiar with the search techniques outlined in the Searching 101 Workshop, have a clearly identified research topic, and have already done significant research on their own.
Areas of Assistance
- Developing your search strategy
- Identifying relevant databases and journals
- Finding and evaluating information resources
- Discovering alternative search terms for your topic
- Using advanced search techniques for specific databases
- Narrowing your search results
Need help right away?
If your deadline is within the next four business days (M-F), request immediate help (i.e., not a research consultation). Here are ways to get help right away:
Research Consultation Policies
- This service is available to NCU students, faculty and staff. However, we are unable to schedule consultations with students who are currently taking their comprehensive exam course.
- Consultations are scheduled during normal operating hours.
- Requests must be made at least 3 business days in advance to allow time for the librarian to prepare. You may have only one consultation scheduled at any one time.
- It is expected that you meet your appointment time, or use the link provided in the reminder email to cancel your appointment. The Library relies on the punctuality and consistency of students in order to continue providing the Research Consultation service. Repeated cancellations and "no shows" may result in suspension of scheduling privileges.
- It is expected that you review the Searching 101 Workshop prior to your scheduled consultation.
- The reference librarians will not do the actual research for you, nor will they answer questions that a professor has assigned as part of a class activity.
- The reference librarians may not help you with the mechanics and style of writing a research paper. You are advised to contact the Academic Success Center for assistance at email@example.com.
- Consultations take place through GoToMeeting, the Library’s online meeting software. Once you select your day and time, you will receive a confirmation email containing access and call-in information. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE MEETING INVITATION.
- You will be asked to complete a satisfaction survey following the consultation session.
To schedule your research consultation today, click this link: http://ncu.libcal.com/appointments/
Already completed a consultation?
Please take the Research Consultation Satisfaction Survey and let us know if your consultation helped you! We appreciate your comments and suggestions.